Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Best of February



Alrighty, it's that time of the month again (a couple days late) with the best new songs that I found this past month, and I've found some really good ones.

For Emma, Forever Ago -

For people who loved Iron & Wine, this guy's for you. This album's already on my short list for one of my top albums of the year, and I suspect that it'll remain on it. This guy just put together a beautiful album - highly minimalist, quiet, calm - something that I've listened to a number of times and just can't stop - the imagery that some of these songs conjures up, such as Re: Stacks, like a winter day here in Vermont.

Flume - Bon Iver
Lump Sum - Bon Iver
Re: Stacks - Bon Iver

Human -
Civil Twilight came to my attention via the show House with the title track. These guys sound good, a solid album that really fits together well, with a number of songs that I've really enjoyed listening to. There's nothing innovative or totally original here, but that's okay - they've got a good sound, lyrics and style, and that's good for me.

Human - Civil Twilight
Letters from the Sky - Civil Twilight
Soldier - Civil Twilight


Gnarls Barkley's back with another catchy song that will be stuck in my head for a while now. Run is a nice followup to Crazy, but it's not a copy of it. Rather, it's fast, retro-sounding song that'll be big on the radio.

Run - Gnarls Barkley

Joshua Radin has released a new EP in preparation for his upcoming album later this year. It's a nice, quiet tune, a good duet.

The Fear You Won't Fall - Joshua Radin

This song (and video) just made me completely crack up when I first watched it. I'm not a big fan of Sarah Silverman, but I am one of Matt Damon, and I can't stop laughing when he comes in for this.

I'm F*cking Matt Damon - Sarah Silverman

I wasn't familiar with Flint prior to coming across her music on a couple music blogs and her myspace page. I fell in love with her voice and acoustic sound - both work well together - a really good sound here.

Fearsome Crowd - Kat Flint
Ohio - Kat Flint

Sheryl Crow's latest album, another one that's sure to drive up the top 40 tracks. The songs that I've heard from this album really feel like some of her earlier stuff, which brings me back to the 90s when I was in middle and high school, listening to her stuff on the school bus's radio in the morning. Both of these tracks are my favorites from the album - very free and fun songs.

Love is Free - Sheryl Crow
Shine Over Babylon - Sheryl Crow

Tina Dico is one artist that'll most likely rate a mention on a new discoveries list at the end of this year. A collaborator with Zero 7, she's got a wonderful album coming out soon, Count To Ten, with some fantastic stories and a great sound.

On The Run - Tina Dico
Sacre Coeur - Tina Dico

Tristan Prettyman's coming out with a new, richer and better album that I'll probably talk about more soon, when we get closer to the release date. I'm really looking forwards to it. This is reminiscent of her last. album, Twentythree, but slightly better.

Madly Madly - Tristan Prettyman

No comments:

Post a Comment